Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Books

Listening to Foreign Bodies by Cynthia Ozick, 2011, in the car. Not sure I like it, not sure I like a single character. Do like the piano's presence. Not being a particularly literary person, the remix of a Henry James novel means nothing to me. It's certainly well written though.

Thoroughly enjoying a new mystery writer to me, M. R. Hall. I'm listening to the second of four books he has written about the cornoner Jenny Cooper. The Disappeared, 2010, is good. Set in Wales, characters are flawed and interesting.

Finished the 3 books my Jennifer Worth, very good books. What an interesting world the East End of London was in the 50s.

Reading a Canadian mystery that I like too - Undertow by Thomas Rendell Curran, 2002. Good writer, interesting to read about Newfoundland, set in the 50s too.

Really enjoying Natural Order by Brian Francis, 2011. Set in small town Ontario, main character is old, looking back over the her life, and that of her gay son. Very perceptive writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment